A Home Insurance Claim: to File or Not to File?
Insurance is meant to protect you against financial loss. But is it really meant to protect you from any and all financial loss? When it comes to filing a loss claim on your home insurance, there may be times when not filing may be the wisest course of action.1
According to one study, filing just a single claim could increase your monthly premium by 20 percent, depending on where you live.2
What About My Premium?
Some insurance companies may protect you against premium increases, and in Texas, insurance companies are even prohibited from increasing rates following a first claim. However, if filing a claim means your premium will rise, you may need to decide whether it makes sense to do it.
It may not pay to file a claim if:
- The claim amount is small. Your policy will have a deductible, so even claims of $1,000 to $2,000 may not have a favorable long-term cost benefit.
- You’re not covered for a loss. Read your policy first to determine coverage. The simple act of filing a claim (even for a claim that won’t be paid) may result in higher premiums.
- You have filed a claim within the last seven years. Since previous claims are tracked by an industry database for seven years, it may result in higher premiums.
Another factor to consider: you may want to file a claim regardless of dollar amount if someone is injured on your property, in order to protect yourself in the event that you are sued by the injured party.
- Several factors will affect the cost of homeowner’s insurance, including the location, size and contents in the home. You should consider the amount of your deductible and level of coverage before purchasing a policy. Any guarantees associated with a policy are dependent on the ability of the issuing insurance company to continue making claim payments.
2. National Association of Realtors, 2019
Share this article
Ready to speak with one of our insurance experts about a personalized quote?
Let us know what you’re looking for and we will generate some great coverage options - whether it’s personal, business, or investment insurance you’re in the market for, we promise our advisors will deliver a tailored, bespoke plan to fit your needs.
speak with a cg insurance expert
Let us know what you’re looking for and one of our insurance experts will contact you to explore coverage options.
"*" indicates required fields